In Malaysia (especially in the urban areas), there are two main reasons why people exercise. They either seek the results or find the workout process itself enjoyable. People are more likely to give up on exercise when they fail to see any results. How many times have we heard people say they developed the habit of exercising out of self-discipline? That looks easier said than done. So instead of forcing ourselves to be disciplined, why don’t we just make exercise more fun? Here are 5 ways you can do to motivate yourself to exercise at times when you really don’t want to:
- Join Zumba dance classes. There are people who prefer to be “lone wolf” when they jog, run, or hit the gym. But when it comes to dancing, isn’t it better when you do it with a group? Sweating it out with your favorite music is just one of the best things about joining dance classes. Going social can also help maintain your motivation.
- Treat yourself. The reward can be as simple as watching your favorite TV show when you get home. Or if you feel like looking good will inspire you to keep moving, accessorize with that nice sports watch or kit bag you have always wanted to buy for yourself. It would not hurt to buy a pair of quality sneakers, too.
- Always remember your reasons for working out. Many girls have the “I can’t wear shorts” mentality because their legs were too fat. If you always wanted to try a sexy outfit but not brave enough because those thunder thighs are showing, why not use it as a motivation to work out?
- Put an exercise gear. Would you believe that simply wearing exercise gear can motivate you to do a physical activity? A research at the Northwestern University in 2013 revealed that a proper exercise gear can push people to sweat it out. However, that does not mean you should spend all your money on the proper attire. Wear the basic gym outfit and invest as you go along.
- Try video games that will require you to move your body. If you are on the techie side and love video games, “Exergaming” could be the perfect one for you. With a TV and a console, you can burn calories by playing dance games, boxing, kickboxing, and more. You can also take advantage of smartphones game that will require you to keep moving.
In the end, what matters most is you find something that you genuinely want to do. When a certain exercise already felt like a chore, stop it. It is better to work out when you don’t even realize you are doing it.