Kuala Lumpur is considered one of the best tourist hotspots in Southeast Asia, mainly because of its endless list of attractions as well as its exciting mishmash of different cultures. Many visit the city to see the spectacular urban cityscapes and to enjoy a romantic getaway for two. But there are more than a handful of worthy sights, sounds, and smells fit for the typical family. If you’re traveling to Malaysia’s capital with kids in tow, be sure to take note of these 6 tips to get the most of your stay.
- Choose Your Stroller Wisely – It’s always nice to have a stroller when traveling with small kids because this will allow them some rest especially that small children tend to get cranky when tired. Unfortunately, navigating Kuala Lumpur with a full-featured robust stroller can be a bit of challenge particularly if you plan to commute via the train. Consider using an umbrella stroller instead to make carrying it up and down stairs less of a hassle. You can also opt for a baby carrier if your child is small enough and if you don’t mind the extra weight.
- Find a Family-Friendly Hotel – Often, choosing the right hotel can be a great advantage because good accommodations can be an attraction all on its own. Many of the best hotels for families traveling to Kuala Lumpur are located in the KLCC area, KL Sentral, and Bukit Bintang because they’re close to all the main attractions. You can also check out some hotel deals in Kuala Lumpur that lean more towards the serviced apartment set-up so you can cook and do laundry during your down time.
- Prepare Your Tech – While the train can be a cost-effective solution for short distances, farther destinations might be much more comfortably traveled to via taxi. It’s fairly easy to hail one off of the street. But if you want the extra security, you can download ride-sharing apps which also tell you the exact fare you need to pay. This way, you can steer clear of opportunistic drivers looking to make an extra buck off of an unsuspecting foreigner.
- Include a Mall in Your Itinerary – Not all of the attractions in Kuala Lumpur require you to drench yourself in sunlight. There are great kiddie amusement parks to be found inside malls. This is a particularly ideal option if you experience some unexpected downpour. Be sure to do some research though – some rides require age and height limits. While you can easily fake your kids’ age, height limits aren’t quite as flexible for safety reasons.
- Research Restaurants – For adults who like to explore different flavors and cuisine, any place would be great for a meal. However, if your kids are picky eaters, you might want to do some research on the restaurants available to you. One of the best places to eat in Kuala Lumpur is Marmalade, which features a massive playroom where your little ones can play while you enjoy a cup of coffee. They also serve meals especially prepared for kids’ unique taste so you can be sure to find something your little ones will enjoy munching on.
- Pack Lots of Water – If you’re planning on spending the whole day out, be sure to have some water in handy especially if you’re not used to the warmer climate. Kids can get easily dehydrated under the sun, particularly in Kuala Lumpur where weather is almost always scorching hot. It also pays to have a few extra bottles in handy for yourself to cool off during the middle of the day.
Kuala Lumpur can be a lot of fun for your family, but only if you make the right preparations. Save yourself some travel troubles and keep these tips in mind for when you decide to take that flight to the sunny city of Kuala Lumpur.